Friday, February 12, 2010

Blogroll changes and other announcements

This is an announcement that I've made some long-overdue adjustments to my sidebar blogroll. Namely, I've cleaned up some dormant sites, and I've added a number of blogs that I've been reading for a long time now and which have become regular visits for me. My blogroll is intended to reflect the sites I visit daily, or as often as they update anyway. However, of late I've been incredibly behind in keeping my blogroll up-to-date, since I don't really use it or look at it much myself — instead, I follow a very large number of blogs and keep up with their posts through their feeds. So it took me a while to realize that my sidebar wasn't really reflecting the blogs and writers I regularly read. That's now been corrected, though I can't promise I've caught everyone who should be added: if you see this and think you should be there, don't hesitate to let me know. Anyway, below are the great blogs that have recently been added to this list. If you're not reading these already, check them out.

Elusive As Robert Denby (Troy Olson bills himself as being new to movie writing, but he's insightful and intellectually curious, and has of late been posting some great round-up posts gathering together various 2009 films.)
Goodfella's Movies (Dave seems to be continuously running one epic project after another; first he reviewed his favorites movies for every year from 1930 to 2008, and if that wasn't ambitious enough, he's now writing about his top 100 noirs, too.)
Hugo Stiglitz Makes Movies (Kevin Olson's writing is consistently sharp and entertaining. Enough said.)
The Last Lullaby (and) Peril (At filmmaker Jeffrey Goodman's blog, he's following Dave in writing about his favorites from each year of cinema, from 1926 to 2008.)
The Long Voyage Home (Doniphon is another smart writer with some very good taste.)
Medfly Quarantine (Ryan Kelly doesn't post nearly often enough, but when he does it's almost always with an exhaustive, formally engaged piece.)
Not Just Movies (Jake Cole is a remarkably prolific and insightful writer I only recently discovered. He's currently tackling, among other things, the ambitious project of watching all of Jean-Luc Godard's films for the first time, in as close to chronological order as possible.)
The Passionate Moviegoer (Joe Baltake's blog is notable for his crisp, stylish writing and dedication to promoting obscure and lesser-seen films.)
The Sun's Not Yellow (The new blog of Joel Bocko of The Dancing Image, a home for various essays and think pieces on film.)
Unexplained Cinema (One of Greg Ferrara's blogs, now resurrected as a place to explore cinema entirely through frame grabs and sequences of images; it's fun and thought-provoking in roughly equal measures.)
Wonders in the Dark (This site, home to Sam Juliano and to Allan Fish's ongoing countdown project, probably needs no introduction. Lots of great writing and discussion.)

So that's that. A couple more housecleaning matters:

1) As most of you have no doubt noticed, The House Next Door has found a new home as the blog for Slant Magazine. This means that my conversations with Jason Bellamy have found a new home as well, though nothing is really changing behind the scenes at the House. Those pieces will continue on a more or less monthly schedule as usual. In fact, within the next week or so, our latest conversation, about Robert Altman's Nashville, should be posted at the House. I'll announce that when it's up. There is also some VERY exciting news about the Conversations series in the works, but it's still too early to say anything more.

2) I am currently assembling a big post or series of posts for this blog about the best comics of the previous decade, from 2000-2009. I know, this is a movie blog, but comics are also very important to me, and I try to write about them sporadically, so within the next week or two I'll be dedicating a few days to this list. Comics don't get a whole lot of respect as an artform — although that situation has certainly improved in recent years — so I hope by posting this list here I'll maybe get some people who don't normally read comics interested in checking out a title or two.

So that's the latest news and updates. Look for more film reviews next week.

23 comments:

Marilyn said...

You're doing a book on The Conversations, right? You should! They are keepers.

Ryan Kelly said...

Ed, it's really an honor to be on your blogroll. Your support has been a treasure, truly.

And I know what the announcement is... I feel so special. And, if everything pans out, I can't think of a blogger/bloggers who deserve it more.

Ed Howard said...

Thanks, you two. I'm not sure how everyone knows — maybe I've dropped too many hints — but I suppose it's not that much of a secret. Just something I didn't want to talk about too much until it's closer to being ready.

Ryan Kelly said...

No, Ed, your editor spilled the beans to me...

That makes it sound much more sinister than it is. I was merely telling him how much I enjoyed the series and that's when he told me your plans. Very ambitious, and it opens up a new door with respect to the authority of film bloggers. Best of luck, as always.

Stephen said...

Great blogs all of those added, Ed.

Long may 'Only the Cinema' flourish because you are one of the most consistently intelligent and enjoyable writers around.

Stephen

Troy Olson said...

Thanks for the kind words and notice -- it's truly an honor, Ed. I should have kept something useful as my top post for all the traffic you are about to send my way ;)

As for the "very exciting news," congrats! Can't wait to see how it all turns out. If you have the chance in the future to let us inside the process of how this all came about, I think that would be quite interesting.

Kevin J. Olson said...

Thanks, Ed! It's an honor. I'm also glad my brother is getting the notice he deserves. He's too hard on his own writing, hehe. I look forward to the "project" and, as always, greatly look forward to further installments of "The Conversations".

Thanks again for the shout-out.

Doniphon said...

Ed, thanks so much for the nod. And good with luck with that news, you guys certainly deserve it.

Ed Howard said...

Thanks, all. You've all made my experience in the film blog community that much richer.

Jaime said...

Ed, I'd be honored if you'd consider adding Unexamined Essentials to your blog roll. I've got you on mine after following it for a while. Anyway, if you feel it's a good fit for what you're doing.

http://unexaminedessentials.blogspot.com/

Dave said...

Thanks, Ed! I appreciate the acknowledgment here and there are a number of great blogs listed here.

Sam Juliano said...

Ed, in behalf of Allan and myself
(and Joel, Bob, Jamie and dee Dee too) I want to thank you very much for blogroll acknowledgement of Wonders in the Dark, and for the very kind words. Great to see Joel Dave, Troy, Kevin, Jeffrey, and other all added. That's great news there with the Conversations spillover. Best Wishes!

Ed Howard said...

Thanks, Dave and Sam.

Jaime, I've been checking out your lists and have added you as well; I only wish you wrote about some of your selections as well.

Stephen, I've also added your blog, which I only discovered recently as well.

Jaime said...

Thanks! A new year's list gets posted every 3-4 days, so please do keep up.

There's likely to be 4-5k titles when I'm through - on 12/31/2010. (Yes, there're that many "must-see films," not even counting docs, a-g, video, and TV.) In terms of writing, that's too ambitious, even for me. Luckily, that's when I'll be soliciting contributions...

My regular writing, if you like, is on

http://outdamnedspot.blogspot.com/

Jeffrey Goodman said...

Ed, a great honor to be mentioned in this company. You guys all inspire me, and are among the most passionate, articulate, and knowledgeable cinephiles I've ever met.

Stephen said...

Thank you, Ed.

It's an honour. I'd been following this site with admiration for a long time.

Stephen said...

"My regular writing, if you like, is on

http://outdamnedspot.blogspot.com/"

Jaime, the brilliance of that blog name alone makes me curious about your writing.

Shubhajit said...

Ed, I'd be really interested to read your take on the best that the world of comics had to offer in the last decade.

Yes, comic strips & graphic novels are indeed artforms that ought to get far more respect & recognition than it does. What I really find disappointing is that even those who love one or more artforms tend to dismiss comics with a half-hearted shrug.

Hence, your self-imposed project has got me interested. I would love to read a lot of graphic works (since I'm not already, though not for short of want), and hence I hope your project forms the perfect springboard for me as well as for others like me.

Jaime said...

Thanks Stephen, although the brilliance ends there! From time to time it's a receptacle for my movie reviews, although I make for a disappointment as a critic, since that job has one requirement that I'm trying to quit (telling the readers whether I liked the movie or not) and one that I always seem to dodge (providing a plot synopsis). That said, all are welcome!

Ed, one feature of my blog roll that I find convenient: ordering contributors chronologically. The blog with the most recent post goes to the top, with the post title listed under the blog name. It may not work for your extensive directory, but it could help weed out blogs that have died quietly.

Ed Howard said...

Thanks, everyone. Shubjajit, I'm glad you're looking forward to the comics list; hopefully it will give you some ideas for comics to check out, it should have a pretty wide variety of things.

Greg said...

May I add my thanks and congrats as well. So here I go: Thanks, and Congrats.

Now that the House has moved, is anyone getting paid per post by Slant? Just curious if one of these blogs actually started paying off.

Ed Howard said...

Thanks, Greg. No one's being paid for blog posts at the House, no.

Greg said...

That's what I figured. We're all taken for granted in this game. Thank goodness we all love it enough to do it for nothing.