Monday, January 31, 2011

The Conversations #23: True Grit


The latest installment of The Conversations has now been posted at The House Next Door. This time around, Jason Bellamy and I discuss the Coen brothers' new adaptation of Charles Portis' True Grit, and compare their take on the material to Henry Hathaway's iconic John Wayne-starring version of the same story. We talk violence, revenge, Wayne, Westerns, the place of this film in the Coens' oeuvre, and much more. Join us at the House and be sure to comment to continue the conversation.

Continue reading at The House Next Door

2 comments:

Adam Zanzie said...

This has been my personal favorite piece in your and Jason's Conversations series. Bravo, Ed. Thanks to both of you guys for discussing my two individual critiques of the film, too--but I also simply have to congratulate you guys for providing a thorough discourse on the film that, if you ask me, was badly needed in the blogosphere. For awhile, everybody seemed to have a different opinion about the movie.

Also, Ed, I just want to let you know that I think that that Murtha guy in the comments section is being a jerk, and I still don't understand what it was about your statements regarding the Portis novel that got him so ticked off.

NYFA Photography said...

amazing images!